Pangoscript Invert X sets value to 400

Discussion in 'PangoScript, Universe and Midi Templates' started by lulighttec, Sep 25, 2018.

1. lulighttec

lulighttec Member

Hi Guys,

So I've been reading some threads about inverting zones through various methods, and I seem to remember Alexey posting that
    Code:
    ZoneWhatever.SizeX= (-ZoneWhatever.SizeX)
    should accurately invert ZoneWhatever, right? Then this code should toggle it, shouldn't it?
    Code:
    OnClick:
    ZoneWhatever.SizeX = (ZoneWhatever.SizeX * (-1))
    Exit

I would think so, but the problem is that when I try to use the objects this way, the value inexplicably jumps from 100 to 400, and in live controls under zone settings, the X size slider jumps all the way to the left. I don't really want to do things by index because if the index ever changes then my script will stop working, but other than that I have tried rewriting this a couple of different ways and this was the best I could think of. However, ALL of them gave the same result as this one. I'm stumped.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. Bob@Pangolin

Bob@Pangolin Staff Member

Could you explain what you are trying to do?

3. lulighttec

lulighttec Member

I'm creating a button that toggles zone inversion by multiplying the Zone's sizeX (or SizeY, but one thing at a time) value by (-1), which should result in reversing the sign of whatever that value is (because if it is negative multiplying it by (-1) will result in a positive number), therefore, by multiplying it by (-1) I can toggle the value back and forth. At least, I could, if pangoscript would work correctly. The way the help file reads, and according to what I've read on here, Pangoscript should be able to handle a line of code like that and at least do the math correctly, but it isn't working right. It's giving a result that makes no sense. If SizeX happens to be 100, SizeX * (-1) should result in -100, not 400, shouldn't it? I'm getting 400 every time regardless of how I manipulate SizeX at zone level, whether it's by grabbing the slider in the Live Controls or using a line of code, the value keeps jumping to 400. I'm aware of this because I included a writeln ZoneWhatever.SizeX as a debug tool so I could see the value each time it changed. If I sound a little frustrated, I'm sorry; it's only because I was not expecting it to be so difficult to get an accurate result from what appeared to be a simple math equation. :confused::(

Let me add a little more:

I tried doing some different things to change the value of ZoneWhatever.SizeX.

I tried simply assigning a value directly:

Code:
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
    [FONT=Arial][COLOR=rgb(20, 20, 20)]
    [LEFT]OnClick:
    ZoneWhatever.SizeX = -100
    Exit

Result? Return value for ZoneWhatever.SizeX was 400.

I tried creating a variable first and then swapping the values:
    Code:
    var FlipX
    FlipX = -100
    Exit

OnClick:
    ZoneWhatever.SizeX = FlipX
    Exit

Guess what? ZoneWhatever.SizeX returned 400.

I tried moving the minus sign around:

Code:
    var FlipX
    FlipX = 100
    Exit

OnClick:
    ZoneWhatever.SizeX = -FlipX
    Exit

I tried other ways to get the value and change the sign:
    Code:
    var FlipX
    FlipX = -ZoneWhatever.SizeX;
    exit

OnClick:
    ZoneWhatever.SizeX = FlipX
    Exit

400. Seeing the pattern here?

I tried simplifying to Alexey's original line of code:
    Code:
    OnClick:
    ZoneWhatever.SizeX = -ZoneWhatever.SizeX
    Exit

Wouldn't you know it: ZoneWhatever.SizeX returned a value of 400.

Keep in mind, I reset the live controls and verified everything was back to normal before I tried running each new iteration of script, and it gave the same result every single time.

I'm using Beyond 4.0 Build 1122.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  4. Bob@Pangolin

Bob@Pangolin Staff Member

What if you try this:

Code:
    exit
    OnClick:
    ZoneWhatever.SizeX = -ZoneWhatever.SizeX
    Exit
    Note the double exit..

5. lulighttec

lulighttec Member

it still jumps to 400.

6. ENOT

ENOT Software Developer Staff Member

Hi Lulighttec,

What you describe sounds like a bug. The bad side of this story - I cannot reproduce it here. Code:

Scanner1Main.SizeX = -Scanner1Main.SizeX

works OK, I see inverted zone. I am pretty sure there is something that influence result at your side. The first idea is screen recording of the result, maybe it will give me some hint. Second idea - did you tried assign a constant? like -100. Basically, we may have some problem with a) reading, b) writing, c) math. Using a constant eliminate reading and math. Let me know.