Problem with APC40

Mgould

At the ILDA con, I took part in the Lase-Off competition, and totally hosed it.
This was the third time I’d used the APC40 (MK I) with Beyond, and it froze up on me.
Turns out, if you mash the buttons too fast, it has issues. Who knew? Now we know. A learning moment.

Does anybody have advice for me here? Besides "don't mash the buttons so fast"?
The only way I could recover was a complete reboot of Beyond and a power cycle of the APC - none of the reset buttons worked. Obviously not an option in the middle of a show.

TIA...Mike

Which version of BEYOND are you running? Cause smashing buttons should not jam BEYOND if you don't have 10.000 lines of code in the profile that is.

I'm running a late beta of 3.0, build 912. I'm thinking the problem is on the APC40 end.
I'm guessing I jammed up the MIDI mojo, could be wrong.
Just calling up a bunch of image frames, some animated, some not.
Didn't see it in my minimal testing, may have been going faster during the show.

Thanks...Mike

Hi Mike, Did the application generate an exception error?
If so, it would be very helpful to receive that log.

Currently there are no known issues that can cause this. Any chance you had the ability to test another APC40, if it does the same thing?
And what if you copy beyond.exe and license.bmp to a new directory. And execute it from there, does the problem also occur?

HI Bob;

Again, I'm pretty sure the problem is with the APC; I was pounding on it pretty hard, and it became unresponsive.
As I said, only the 3rd time I'd used it. All my gear is in storage right now, will try it again in the fullness of time.

I will update my laptop to the current blessed 3.0, and see what obtains. Could just be a faulty APC - I bought it used on eBay.

Nobody else seems to have seen a similar problem, so I doubt that Beyond is at fault.

Thanks...Mike

New Information:

I set up my rig at home, mashed away on the APC40, and no problems. No lockup, just pure Beyond cue goodness.

My current theory is that I hit some other button while I was flailing away (like maybe the Pause button) and killed it that way.
Or there was some weird interaction with the IDN-based setup we were using at the Lase Off.

So I'm happy for now.

...Mike

Back