Set a Cue Length

Jezric

When creating a new Cue using Shape Editor, or any other generator types really, a cue that contains effects that loop like Oscillations, etc. I don't see a way to set the Cue to just play for a certain amount of time and then stop.

For instance, A Cue with a shape to start large and reduce in size to a single beam (using a Key effect - Size). This will just loop by default, how do I set the Cue to just play through that effect once and then stop or otherwise set the Cue play length so it doesn't loop.

Possible ways I see this happening:

- have some other effect that tells the Cue container to stop after a certain amount of time, or using the clock/ number of beats or something

- Have a setting in the Cue itself that just says to stop playing after a certain amount of time.

I see in the Cue properties dialog there is an Export tab where it looks like you can set a duration but doesn't seem to do anything. (it says "Cue contain Shape Duration is flexible").

Thanks

Hmm... I don't see an Options Tab or anything that says limit cue duration in the Cue Properties.

Attachments

• qs2.JPG
    qs2.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 8
  • qs1.JPG
    qs1.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 8
I don't see this specific method in BEYOND. Have you tried to create and limit it on the timeline? Then drag the preview back in a cue?

Woah... I didn't know that you could have multiple Cues each launching a different timeline or that dragging the Preview of a timeline to a Cue slot sets up that trigger.... Yes, that totally works and I believe this solves my issue entirely and then some... Thanks Bob.

Last edited:
Woah... I didn't know that you could have multiple Cues each launching a different timeline or that dragging the Preview of a timeline to a Cue slot sets up that trigger.... Yes, that totally works and I believe this solves my issue entirely and then some... Thanks Bob.
Could you give me a detailed workaround that solved your issue? Thanks buddy,
Ben

First off, what I do is have a set of pages/tabs that are only for storing raw Cues (explanation as to why in the below "Another Note". Then...

At the bottom of the UI on the QuickTimeline tab, Select Menu > File > New Show. This gives you a blank show timeline.

Drag different Cues from your "raw" Cues tabs/library into this new QuickTimeline. In there you can have different tracks of Cues that are starting at different relative times within this timeline. You can fade in and out Cues by dragging horizontally from the top left or right from the Cue in the timeline, etc.

When your timeline is in a state where you want to trigger it from a Cue frame, to the right, below the "Show it now" button, you can drag that Preview window into a Cue. Now when you trigger that Cue, it triggers that timeline you created. Once that QuickTimeline is in a Cue of its own, you can edit it again by right-clicking the Cue and select Edit Timeline.

Note, you can also save the QuickTimeline you created using that same Menu button if you want to maintain files of different timelines/shows/etc. in case your project gets messed up.

Another Note, the reason I keep a set of tabs that are all my raw Cues is because when you create one of these timelines, it is referencing that Cue you dragged in there, it doesn't make a copy of it, so if you delete one of those raw Cues or change it in any way, it will also affect any QuickTimelines you added it to. So, I typically doesn't reuse any of those raw Cues, I make copies if I want to use it in a new QuickTimeline.

Hope this helps.

Back